Mum and Baby Yoga
Mum and baby yoga is an amazing way to spend quality time with your baby and also gently return to your yoga/ exercise routine after your had your baby.
Benefits of postpartum yoga for moms:
- Ease new parent jitters. Mum and baby yoga is a safe and structured way to engage with your baby.
- Get a little gentle care for your body. Mum and baby yoga a gives you an opportunity to nourish and care for your body through focused stretches and mindful exercises, which is especially important after carrying a baby and giving birth.
- Stretch and strengthen the muscles that went through the most. The gentle movements and mindful breathing integral to yoga boost abdominal strength and activate the pelvic floor muscles, which aids recovery from giving birth. Classic poses open up the shoulders and chest you rely on for all of the rocking and cradling you do in the first few months with your baby.
- Meet new moms. After baby is born, you might not have as much time for socialising. But it’s reassuring to talk to other mothers who are going through the same experiences as you are. Yoga class provides a safe and nurturing environment for new parents to discuss worries and concerns. You’re not alone!
- Bond with your new baby. Yoga is a healthy, playful activity you can enjoy together.
Benefits of involving your baby in your yoga flow for your little one:
- Develop motor and sensory skills. The simple stretches and poses can help your baby gain self and environmental awareness.
- Digest more easily. Apanasana, or knees-to-chest pose, may alleviate constipation and gas pains.
- Sleep more soundly. Although it’s not guaranteed, some parents say their babies sleep better after attending mum&baby yoga sessions.
How is mum and baby yoga class structured?
The mum&baby yoga classes have a very open and casual atmosphere. Lasting about 45 minutes, including a short meditation and breathing exercise plus some beginner-friendly pose sequences that involve holding your baby in your arms.
Moms sometimes feed or change their babies during simple sequences — it’s really no big deal! So you don’t have to worry about your baby’s behaviour upsetting the zen atmosphere.
How soon after birth can you start your mum&baby yoga?
Depends on a few factors, if you had a vaginal birth you can start your own practice at around 6 weeks after postpartum, in case of belly birth it is safer to start 3 months after.
For the baby you can start around 6 weeks if baby was born on term, but it is safer for him/her to start when your baby can hold its head up, can set you up for a safe practice full of poses that put you both to work.
And you are probably going to enjoy theses session till your baby starts to walk on his/her own.
Safety tips for baby yoga
While mom&baby yoga classes should be structured with your safety and baby’s in mind, keep in mind these few tips to stay safe:
- Get your doctors’ okay. Make sure to get clearance from your child’s pediatrist as well as your own doctor before starting any baby yoga.
- Check out baby’s skills. Can he/she lift and hold up her head on her own? If not, please wait a little more. The practice will be much safer when your baby can.
- Protect your tummy and pelvic floor If you’re recovering from diastasis recti or pelvic floor weakness there will be options given you on the class, so please only do the versions that are appropriate for both of you during the class.
- Stretch gently. Because your body continues to produce hormones that loosen the ligaments even after you give birth, don’t push too hard on the stretching.
- Do only what feels good. If any move seems like it might be a little too much for you or your baby, speak up.
- Baby comes first. Taking care of baby is your priority — and it’s really no big deal if your little one cries for a feeding or a diaper change during class.
If you’d like to know more how you can improve and speed up your postnatal recovery please read the blog post about doing it smartly.
Weekly mum and baby yoga classes:
Tuesday 10:15 – 11:00 and Saturday 10:15 – 11:00. Please book your class here.
Location is Naxxar.
Price: €15 per session including both mum and baby (or 2 babies).